EXFOLIATION, WHEN AND HOW
Renewal and rebirth are often toted as part of the cycle of life. To shed the old to make way for the new. Snakes shed their skin a few times per year to allow for new growth. This sloughing helps reveals fresh, new skin underneath. Humans also naturally slough away dead skin to make way for the new and refreshed skin. While different than the snake’s complete shedding, the goal is the same in promoting new skin growth.
Beyond the natural methods, we can also help this process along by exfoliating our own skin. Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells from the face and body using different methods such as scrubs and washcloths. Cosmetologists will perform deep exfoliation treatments such as microdermabrasion to help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
But why all the fuss about exfoliation? Does it really matter?
Absolutely. There are several benefits of exfoliation that make it well worth your efforts.
1. Exfoliation helps remove dead, dry skin, and allowing your moisturizer to reach the skin beneath.
2. Exfoliation helps release trapped in-grown hairs. By removing the skin that is trapping the hair, you are allowing the hair to better breakthrough the skin naturally.
3. Exfoliation helps reduce the appearance of existing dark spots or light scarring to encourage new, healthy skin growth.
4. Exfoliation helps remove dirt and debris in clogged pores that can cause black heads and break outs. Dried, dead skin also traps oils below the skin that can further cause clogged pores.
Now that you know WHY you should exfoliate, let’s talk about how.
1. Shave. Shaving with a razor blade is a form of exfoliation. The blades help lightly remove dead skin.
2. Facial Scrub. Sand like exfoliating ingredients gently help remove dirt and debris from the skin.
3. Power Brush. Used with our Pre-Shave Gel and The 4 Elements regimen, reduces the occurrence of razor bumps by 69%*. When used with our facial wash, it exfoliates as well to remove dirt and debris.
Exfoliating is a clear path to revealing a new(er) looking you.
**After 12 weeks of daily shaving using a regimen of The Art of Shaving Power Spin Brush with Power Brush Gel, ProGlide Flexball Razor and TAOS 4 Elements Regimen, compared to shaving with shave cream alone.